We hope the following information about automobile insurance for rental cars in Mexico is useful. Information is provided under two major categories:

A vehicle rented in the U.S. and driven to Mexico

A vehicle rented in Mexico and driven only in Mexico

Mexican auto insurance for a vehicle rented in the U.S. and driven to Mexico

Our insurance program DOES allow you to purchase Mexico auto insurance for a vehicle you rent in the U.S. and drive to Mexico. To purchase and print your Mexican auto insurance policy online you will need the following information about the vehicle BEFORE you issue the policy:

If you plan to drive the rental car into the interior of Mexico where a Temporary Importation Permit is required by Mexican Customs, in all likelihood you will be required to present a notarized letter from the rental car company that gives you permission to take the vehicle to Mexico.

Temporary Importation Permits are not required in the border region, for Baja California and Baja California Sur (South), or for the State of Sonora as far south as Guaymas.

Mexican Insurance for a vehicle Rented in Mexico and driven only in Mexico

As of March, 2017, the only place we know of to obtain auto insurance for a car you rent in Mexico is from the rental car company. These are vehicles registered in Mexico and which have Mexican license plates.

We do not provide insurance coverage for rental cars registered in Mexico.

What you need to know: You could be responsible for several types of claims with a car you rent in Mexico:

Things to consider:


Seguro para vehículos Mexicanos en EEUU
Haga Clic Aquí


Want to help an orphanage?

Bookmark this site!

Click to return to MotorMexico.com homepage

Rental Cars for Mexico