Driver's License Policy
What is a “driver’s license” policy?
- The Driver’s License Policy insures a specific driver instead of a specific vehicle. It is available for anyone who has a driver’s license as long as the license is NOT from Mexico.
- The Driver’s License Policy is also NOT valid for a vehicle registered in Mexico.
- Driver’s License Policies are only written for a one year term.
What coverage is included with a Driver’s License policy?
- 3rd party liability, with a choice of limits of $50,000, $100,000, $300,000, or $500,000. 3rd party liability pays for damage to property of others or injuries to people as a result of an accident that is your fault. It does not apply to the occupants of the vehicle you are driving.
- Legal Assistance and Bail Bond.
- MexVisit Travel Assistance.
What is the advantage of a Driver’s License policy?
- It allows the Named Insured to drive just about any vehicle in Mexico . . . provided the vehicle is not registered and licensed in Mexico. It does not cover certain types of vehicles such large commercial vehicles.
Who would want a Driver’s License policy?
- People who own several cars, motorcycles, dune buggies, UTVs, who can drive to Mexico, and do not want to buy an annual policy for each vehicle. The vehicles driven must have plates for use on streets and public roads.
- People who may drive other’s people’s non-Mexican vehicles in Mexico and know or are not sure the the vehicle they are driving has insurance.
BUT HOLD ON A MINUTE . . .
Are there disadvantages to a Driver’s License policy? Yes, there are two important disadvantages:
- There is no coverage for physical damage to the vehicle (theft of the vehicle, damage that may occur to the vehicle in an accident, or natural causes).
- There is no coverage for Medical Payments for injuries to occupants of a vehicle driven by someone with a Driver’s License policy.
To apply for a Driver's License Policy, click on any link on this page to open the policy quote screen. Be sure that the Vehicle Type drop-down under Vehicle Information has "Drivers License Policy" selected as shown below.